Wednesday 18 June 2014

The problem with VOGUE





Like most other magazines, VOGUE has adapted itself throughout the years to accommodate its ever changing audience. We are modern. We are not the women of 1892, when Vogue was founded. This is the twenty-tens...

But nowadays, British Vogue has mostly celebrities and the occasional model on its cover. I cannot comment on the U.S, Parisian, Italian or any other editions of Vogue, but I can comment on the one in my country. As beautiful as Claire Danes (November 2013), Kristen Stewart (October 2012), Beyoncé (May 2013) and Adele (October 2011) looked as Vogue cover stars, I cant help but pine for models.

I'm an avid Elle and Company reader. I can't get enough. I love their mix of cover girls. I love how Company has bloggers, young new models, singers and actresses on its cover - my feelings are the same towards Elle. Both contain intelligent copy, great items of clothing and luscious beauty products and I love them for what they are. Yes, they have changed over the years. In fact, Company had a massive design change, seeing its size, paper and content (both written and visual) adopt a younger, edgier feel. For some reason, I can accept these changes.

I picked up this month's issue of Vogue (July 2014) and couldn't put down the glossy until I had read every single page. Why? It's simple. The cover star.

Christy Turlington.

For those who may not know, Turlington is a 45-year-old American model who represented Calvin Klein for 20 years amongst many other campaigns, including Versace. Oh, and if you have your belly button pierced, you can thank her for bringing hype to the piercing at a 1993 fashion show.

A model. Turlington is a model and for that, July 2014's Vogue was 100% amazing.

I'm aware that I'm probably in the minority when I say this, but I firmly believe that actresses and musicians should not make it as cover stars on this glossy. That job should be left to models. To me, they are fashion. They are beauty. They are VOGUE.

 In all fairness to British Vogue, they have had a fair few models on the cover lately but I want more. I understand that Vogue needs to change. It needs to keep its readership and most women of today are interested in celebrity fashion and news. For this reason, I understand the move. I can also accept seeing actresses or musicians inside the magazine... But not the cover.

Do you agree that Vogue is a model's world or do you like the beaut celeb cover girls?
Let me know what you guys think in the comments and please excuse the little hot chocolate stain on my desk in the second picture! I didn't notice it.

21 comments:

  1. I agree with you with having more models on the vogue cover! Love this post

    The Velvet Black // UK Style, Beauty and Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Personally I only really ever buy vogue rarely, and if I do it's because there's a model or celebrity I like on the cover. I agree with you though Company is my favourite for the sheer range of people they have on the cover! xx

    ☾ www.liquoricepearls.com ☾

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh Vogue! I agree with you though, far too many celebrities famous for nothing who are slapped on the cover xx

    Lauraslittleloves

    ReplyDelete
  4. To be completely honest, I never buy Vogue and I hardly ever read it. But I do agree that being a 'vogue' cover star has always been a big deal and for me...Kim K on the front degraded the brand massively!

    franleanne.blogspot.co.uk

    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful post, I'd never thought about if before but you're completely right, it should be models on the cover. Models are so much more a part of the fashion world than celebrities are and it is far more appropriate for them to be on the cover.

    Elesaurus

    ReplyDelete
  6. i much prefer models on the cover of magazines, i'm really not into celebrity culture so the likes of miley or kim k or anyone like that being on the cover won't sell it to me whatsoever. infact, i tend to stay away from magazines that are more celebrity focused. however, if you put the likes of cara or some other equally amazing model on the cover, i'll be more likely to pick it up!

    from helen at thelovecatsinc.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful post. ;-)
    Lovely greets Nessa

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post and I can't help but agree. Models should be on the cover because pop stars and actresses already get so much media coverage and models are more synonymous with Vogue. I love your blog and I have started following you with Bloglovin. If you ever get a chance to check out my blog I would be delighted, thanks!

    Camille xo.

    www.cococami.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with you!! It's lovely to see models grace the cover of fashion magazines :) Great post!

    ♥ Erika from STYLE AND SUNDRY (http://e-rosales.blogspot.com/)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your honesty about VOGUE \, because sometimes I feel like why should they concern much about celebrities and etc even though, it should be about fashion xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do agree with you about the cover stars, I do love Vogue but I can't help but feel that the only people who make it onto the covers are the people who are "relevent" at that moment in time and Kim Kardashian being on the cover is the prime example of this
    xx

    Salted Roses // UK Fashion Blog

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree! There should be more models on the cover.
    Btw, do you mind following each other via GFC? Just let me know and I’ll follow u right back.

    xx Lori
    http://fabeau-trends.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete
  13. I enjoyed reading your post and honestly I agree. I do think too much emphasis is put nowadays on actors/actresses and singers. This doesn't mean they should not be talked about but rather talked about in different types of magazines. Vogue and Elle are fashion magazines and what is considered fashion should be models, designers, photographers and bloggers rather then actors and singers. I'm not saying they should not be featured in those types of magazines at all, they just shouldn't be given all the spotlight.
    xx
    Mia

    www.ssenescence.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I totally agree with you, Vogue is not my thing though.

    www.kindoflovely.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I agree with you in some ways about this, and have other issues with vogue too. I used to read vogue religiously, and pick it up with my Company, elle and glamour every month. But since I have just realised in comparison Vogue has far more filler ads and a lack of content which relates to much else than fashion (I know that sounds silly from fashion magazine, but Elle etc seem to talk about other issues and have a great beauty section as well as fashion/style). xx

    beautyandtheb1.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree more! I went off it for about a year for this reason but now I appreciate it for being just about fashion and beauty :) Company and Elle are great though! I love the REAL JOURNALISM in them both.

      Delete
  16. I also agree. I'm not the type to reach for vogue though. x

    http://mehshake.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  17. I personally would love to see more every day women, maybe an up and coming star, or a woman who has worked hard in a field that no one is used to. I love the difference of the world. When you throw a celebrity on the cover, we all know who it is and what she does. I think it would be more interesting to make the cover someone with passion and heart in other fields and make women believe that they to could be "on the cover of Vogue".


    www.thesequinedsalad.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I totally agree with you. Vogue is a FASHION bible, I'm not saying actreses and singers aren't fashionable, on the contrary, they are a great staple on the fashion world but who should be modeling fashion bibles? Models, those who work to do that. Ofcourse I love me some Beyonce and Kristen but I want my Miranda and Moss on the covers modeling.

    xMM
    THE LAME LIP

    ReplyDelete
  19. Really Interesting post, I've been following vogue through anna wintours transition from models on every cover to the celebrities on the cover..I mean I do love seeing the model on the front cover but it only catches my eye whilst browsing the stand when its someone I know, Cara, Jordann etc, but when its a celebrity it will always catch my eye as I recognise the face which I think is same for many women, which is a going with the times, advertising move and obviously a very successful one. I.e The Kimye cover, love it or hate it everyone was talking about it = Free Publicity for Vogue. Win for them.

    Candidly Chloe xx

    ReplyDelete