Tuesday 29 July 2014

Pokémon | Top 5 episodes of series 3 | The Johto Journeys

Round 3! 

Gosh, I haven't posted in a while... I'm off to Winchester tomorrow to visit my boyfriend for the week so I figured I would get this post out now!

Episodes based in the Johto region seem to receive a lot of negative comments and I can understand why. There are a lot of "filler" episodes which aren't necessarily relevant to Ash's journey but some of them are great.

Last month, I posted my top 5 episodes from series 2 (read here) and the month prior to that, I gave you my top 5 from series 1 (read here). Now, I'm going to give you my top five from The Johto Journeys! I can't begin to tell you how long these posts take to write up. I really should plan them in advance or write them up over two days or something... The funny thing is, I'm pretty certain none of you guys enjoy reading these posts but I just love writing them.

The plot sees young Ash Ketchum on his journey to become the world's greatest Pokémon master. Pokémon (Pocket Monsters) are like animals but you can catch, train and battle them. Team Rocket (the bad guys) are constantly causing trouble throughout the course of the series and they are my favourite part! #teamTeamRocket

Due to the high level of filler episodes, I really struggled to pick my top five. We say a kind of temporary/kind of permanent goodbye to two main Pokémon (one of these episodes has made it into my top 5).

Before I begin, please note that when I say the episode number, eg. 136, I mean the 136th episode ever. There are only 41 episodes in this series but I'm taking into account the first and second series and all banned epsiodes up to this point as well (there are 2). So episode 136 is known as 134 everywhere but Japan... Does that make sense? Probably not.

So here we go!

WARNING: I will be giving away good portions of each plot. If you don't like spoilers, don't read ahead!!

5. Episode 157: Forest Grumps
An Ursaring's (Pokémon which look like bears) hyper beam attack saves Ash, Misty and Brocks Pokémon from being captured by Team Rocket but sees both groups being chased into the forest by an angry pack of these Ursaring (you'll find out at the end of the episode why they are aggitated). After escaping the Ursaring, they realise they have all been split up. Jessie is with Ash, Pikachu and Brock while Misty and her Togepi are with James and Meowth of Team Rocket. Each group is forced to make a truce. This switch-up is the reason Forest Grumps made my top five! I love watching the "enemies" work together. I won't give away much else but we get another little surprise from Togepi right at the end and James' Victreebell uses vine whip for the first time!


4. Episode 148: Tricks of the Trade
 Ash, Misty and Brock meet a young trainer who is having trouble trading his Wobbuffet at a Pokémon Swap Meet. Again, I don't want to reveal too much but this Wobbuffet becomesa pretty important character from this episode onwards! I have a little soft spot for Wobbuffet which is the reason this episode made my top 5. We say goodbye to two pokémon in this episode.


3. Episode 129: Once in a Blue Moon
The mission to get the GS Ball to a Pokéball expert is interrupted when a Quagsire takes it and swims away. We eventually find out that the reason reason the Quagsire took Ash's GS Ball was because it was spherical, and during this time of year, the Quagsire take round objects, swim upstream and then send them back down the river. The tacken objects are said to be good luck, especially the last thing to float down the river. I just love the whole story of the Quagsire ritual. I thought it was quite sweet.


2. Episode 131: Ignorance is Blissey
 I nearly gave this episode the number one spot but changed my mind at the last minute. Although it sits in second place, I probably prefer it to my number 1 choice in many ways. A  ahuge Team Rocket fan, any episode which has a focus on their history really excites me. Ignorance is Blissey sees Team Rocket and the three kida wind up at the same Pokémon centre where a very clumsy Blissey works beside Nurse Joy. Whilst stealing food, Jessie is tackled to the floor by Blissey and realises that they both went to Pokémon Nurse School together and were friends. The rest of the episode shows not only Jessie's love and friendship towards Blissey but also James and Meowth's friendship with Jessie as they back her up and sacrifice the food they stole. I love this episode so much that I teared up the first time I watched it! What can I say? I'm emotional!
 

1. Episode 136: Charizard's Burning Ambition
This episode is a pretty significant one. We finally say goodbye to one of Ash's oldest Pokémon, Charizard. I love Charizard and the whole story behind him. Ash hears about a place called Charicific Valley and believes that visiting it will help Charizard's spirits. However, when they reach the valley, all the dragons are far bigger and more powerful and we see Charizard's pride get wounded. Another reason I chose this episode is because although we see a miserable Charizard, we also see his determination and I really admire that in this Pokémon.


No comments:

Post a Comment