Monday 8 December 2014

ELLE Insider Mystery Serum || Day One

Hello, my lovelies!

I am sorry for straying away these past couple of months - university is getting hectic! On top of my course, I work one day a week at my local paper (ha, "one day a week"... I'm doing stuff for them most days).

I have a really exciting post today.
A while ago, I applied to receive a free sample of a mystery serum from ELLE magazine. Lucky me, it arrived today (December 8)! Five of the samplers will get the chance to go to London and meet the ELLE Beauty team - fingers crossed!

So here I am, fresh out of bed, with no makeup and horrible yellow hair (sorry for betraying you, Toni & Guy - I have learned my lesson). I washed my face this morning with Simple Moisturising Facial Wash as I wanted to keep it, well... Simple! I didn't want to exfoliate as I have quite dry skin at the moment and I find exfoliating more than once-a-week causes my skin to flake.


The mystery serum arrived in a clear glass bottle with a black, pipette-style applicator. ELLE have described this product as a "gel-serum that instantly firms, lifts and plumps the skin to leave it looking dramatically smoother, tighter and more youthful."
I'm going to be putting on my Clarins Daily Energizer Cream afterwards.


The way I applied this was the same as how I apply my current serum, the Estée Lauder Advanced Night Repair Synchronized Recovery Complex II (click for review).
ELLE said to use two or three drops but as it is a gel, I found it harder to spread than a slightly more liquid-like serum. I popped a little blob on each of my four fingertips and touched them with the fingers on my other hand. Then I just massaged it into my face starting at the centre of my forehead, lightly drawing round to my temples and down towards my mouth. I then put my fingers on my nose and swept them out towards my ears. I'm not sure if this is the correct way to apply it but it works for me and I don't want to drag my skin too much.
I did not put this product around my eyes as the skin is about 40 per cent thinner and I'm not sure if this product is meant for that area so I avoided it.


Initial thoughts:  
This might sound a little crazy, but I swear I could feel the product working the second I put it on which is phenomenal. It felt as though my skin was being pulled just that little bit tighter. My moisturiser went on beautifully afterwards. I usually have to apply a fairly generous amount of my Clarins cream as my skin just absorbs it in seconds but I used half the amount today.
I know I am only 20 so my skin isn't exactly sagging but my forehead and cheeks definitely feel more plump.

I have sensitive skin and I have not reacted at all to this product.

I love the smell of the serum. Usually, I am not one to go for floral/rose-scented products but it so subtle and sweet that I actually like it. 

My only qualm with this serum is the texture. As a student, I feel I would go through a lot more of this than I would with my Estée Lauder because the gel does not spread as well. My bank account might struggle a little. However, the way it plumps my skin makes up for the fact I need an extra blob each time I apply it. I do not get that plumpness with the Advanced Night serum.

I have absolutely no clue who this product might be made by. Judging by the softness of the smell and the way it works so beautifully with my moisturiser, I would like to say Clarins but I could be completely off. I am also pretty sure that Clarins have already released a pretty good serum this year. I would not be surprised if it turned out to be Estée Lauder because their serums always work so well and this one would be like the next-gen thing for them.

Today, I decided to go make-up free because that is what I usually do and I wanted to see how this product would work for me on a regular day. I will be applying a full face tomorrow and I will even try applying the product over my make-up as it says you can do.

Stay tuned for another update tomorrow, folks!

2 comments:

  1. pretty polish! x

    Read my latest blog post on after-partying with Cara Delevingne:
    http://louboutinsandlove.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds lush, apart from the spreading issues. I wonder what it is! Do you ever get to find out?

    The Velvet Black // UK Style & Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete