Thursday 11 September 2014

I'm about 90% feminist!

The whole world has turned feminist with the like of Lena Dunham leading the way. I love Dunham and I love her TV show, "Girls" (if you haven't seen it, where the hell have you been?). I also think women should have equal rights and opportunities - to a point. I know what you're probably thinking because Lena has already said it in an interview with Metro U.K:

“Women saying ‘I’m not a feminist’ is my greatest pet peeve. Do you believe that women should be paid the same for doing the same jobs? Do you believe that women should be allowed to leave the house? Do you think that women and men both deserve equal rights? Great, then you’re a feminist. People think there is something taboo about speaking up for feminism.”

Let's look at firefighters.
I had this debate with one of my housemates at the start of 2014. She's a huge feminist and to her, women should be able to have any job they want.
My dad went for a job as a firefighter many years ago. He passed all the physical tests but walked out of his interview. He was asked why it is important to have women, people of different ethnic backgrounds and differently-abled people in the service. If I was asked this question, I wouldn't have an answer. I don't think it is important to have a variety of people at all. In fact, if that is how the fire service employ people, then I'm definitely worried. Shouldn't it be whoever is most capable..? If an Asian man is better than an English man, then he should get the job. If a deaf woman is better than a black bodybuilder, she should be employed. 
 So I'm 90% feminist. Equal opportunities and all that jazz...
What my friend argued was that there should be an equal number of men and women which I think is totally wrong.

In general, women aren't as physically strong as men. Firefighters go into burning buildings in pairs. Let's imagine a man and woman going in as a pair. If the man were to faint, most women would struggle carrying him out to safety, especially with all the smoke and the heavy gear. I appreciate that some women are physically able in these circumstances but the majority of us aren't and we shouldn't get the job just because we are women. 

I've voiced my opinion to many of my friends, both male and female, and only one person (a male) has ever agreed with me. 

Maybe I'm old fashioned or maybe my dad has been slowly twisting my thoughts over the years (he hasn't), but if my life was on the line and I was about to be engulfed in flames, I'd want the best person possible carrying me out and I'm pretty sure all the feminists out there would too.

Let me know your views, please. I find people's opinions on feminism really interesting!
Have a beautiful day <3

3 comments:

  1. As long as someone is capable of doing their job, they should get it. Whether it's an equal amount of the sexes or not. They do go through a lot of training so I'm sure if they are hired, they are qualified to move anyone in a burning building. I would see girls training at my college with the guys, they have to run and carry/drag heavy items like sandbags nonstop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. THIS. I say the same thing in every argument about equality/feminism and nearly always get jumped for it :D
    x Justina // abentpieceofwire.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post!! <3
    Check out my blog? Let me know what you think. :)

    Sammie
    sammiethestargirl.blogspot.com || Bloglovin

    ReplyDelete